Article from: www.thenewspaper.com/news/42/4297.asp
12/31/20132013 Year in Review
The ten most popular stories on TheNewspaper.com for the year 2013.
The following were the ten most viewed stories on TheNewspaper.com during 2013.
- Florida: Changing Car Color Does Not Justify Traffic Stop
Courts in Florida are now split on the question of whether motorists should be subjected to stop and search simply because they repainted their car in a new color.
- New Jersey: Court Upholds Man Arrested For Visible Gun Case In Car
New Jersey appellate court upheld five-year jail sentence for ex-cop who was driving with his legally owned guns.
- Florida Police Jail Man For Protesting Red Light Cameras
Police in Apopka, Florida arrested a man for distributing a petition that would put the issue of ending red light camera use to a public vote.
- New York: Judge Rules Careful Driving Is Not A Crime
New York county judge rules driving with two hands on the wheel does not create a suspicion of criminal activity.
- Illinois DOT Busted Over Red Light Camera Spreadsheet
The Illinois Department of Transportation's attempt to keep information about its red light camera program secret by locking an Excel spreadsheet blasted by state Court of Appeals.
- DC, Maryland: Speed Camera Firms Move To Hide Evidence
Afraid of refunds, Washington, DC and Salisbury, Maryland conceal evidence that could reveal camera inaccuracy.
- North Carolina Appeals Court Allows HOAs To Arrest For DUI
Rental cops hired by homeowners associations (HOA) can conduct traffic stops that would be unconstitutional if performed by an actual police officer, according to a ruling handed down by the North Carolina Court of Appeals.
- Iowa Supreme Court Approves Use Of Tinted License Plate Covers
Motorists can use a license frame with a tinted cover, the Iowa Supreme Court affirmed.
- Ohio Court: Polite Drivers Are Not Suspicious
Ohio Court of Appeals throws out conviction of a man who was searched during a traffic stop because he was too polite.
- US Supreme Court Expands Use of Drug Dogs During Traffic Stops
Unanimous US Supreme Court strikes down Florida requirement of proof of drug dog efficiency for traffic stop searches.