Article from: www.thenewspaper.com/news/66/6615.asp
12/28/20182018 Year In Review
The ten most popular stories on TheNewspaper.com for the year 2018.
The following were the ten most viewed stories on TheNewspaper.com during 2018.
- Washington Cop On Hook For Door Checking Motorcyclist
The Washington Court of Appeals declared a state trooper could be held liable for knocking a motorcyclist over the side of a bridge.
- Arkansas Town Banned From Issuing Speeding Tickets
After a year-long attempt to save its ability to issue speeding tickets, the notorious speed trap town of Damascus, Arkansas, was officially declared in violation of the state anti-speed trap law.
- Anonymous Hacks Italian Speed Camera Database
Individuals operating under the banner of the group Anonymous remotely took control of a local police computer system in Correggio, Italy, and deleted speed camera tickets.
- Motorists Receiving License Points For Not Checking Tire Pressure
Irish motorists face higher insurance premiums, potential loss of license and a 80 euro (US $100) ticket if they hit the road without first checking their tire pressure.
- Ticket-Fixing Judge Gets Slap On Wrist
An Indiana judge who gave a free pass to a close friend who skipped out on paying a speeding ticket was himself handed a free pass by the state Supreme Court.
- Tennessee Court Strikes Down Paying Lab For DUI Convictions
Tennessee Court of Criminal Appeals found blood and breath test results untrustworthy because the labs had a financial incentive to produce a conviction.
- Tennessee Man Sues After Cops Grab His BMW From Garage
Lawsuit challenged the police seizure of a BMW 750i sedan from the garage of a Tennessee military veteran who had committed no offense.
- Federal Judge Questions Tennessee License Suspension Legality
Federal judge was inclined to strike down a Tennessee law revoking the driver's license of anyone failing to pay court debt -- whether arising from an unpaid speeding ticket or court costs that have nothing to do with driving.
- Utah: Cop Cannot Provoke A Violation To Justify A Traffic Stop
A federal judge rejected a traffic stop conducted by Utah cop who prompted a motorist to move out of his way too quickly on the interstate.
- Missouri Court Protects Black Box Data From Cops
Missouri Court of Appeals rules that police who want to snoop through a vehicle's black box data -- even after an accident -- will have to get a warrant.